Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What is Scratchboard Art?


From my June Newsletter:
"Scratchboard is a technique where drawings are created using sharp knives and tools
for etching into a thin layer of white China clay that is coated with black India
ink." - from Wikipedia.

Sounds complicated, but it is actually pretty easy to do once you have the right
materials. In my classes I use an artist grade, black 5"x7" panel that comes ready
to scratch. I also supply a few different scratch tools for various effects. Next,
we choose a design, transfer it to the scratchboard, and start etching. We scratch
away the black ink to reveal the white clay underneath. I then demonstrate how
to apply a thin layer of watercolor paint to add a bit of color to the design.
Easy and fun!!

1 comment:

artbylmr said...

Marionette, Thanks for the info. It really interests me except it sounds like no erasing !! Don't know how well I would do with that.

I need to search for a video demo of this.

Lynne